The Bowler Hatted Turner

St.Johns’ Church Font – Part4

by The Bowler Hatted Turner - September 21st, 2009.
Filed under: Projects.

  On each end of the centre column I turned a 2” tenon or spigot to make sure that  when I assembled it everything lined up. I also turned a small bead that would sit halfway over the joint,this would disguise the joint and also match the beads on the Easter candle.I was so pleased with the turning of this piece that I totally forgot to photograph it on completion.

PICT0451I then turned my attention to the top and bottom of the column.I used a no maths method of drawing the rings.I drew a circle and divided it into  segments and then transferred the marks for the joints directly onto the timber.This is the bit that people have said is the da@vinci bit.In order to reflect the tradition of fonts being octagonal I made each ring out of eight pieces of wood. I made a jig to aid cutting the segments and although not bad it wasn’t spot on, and so I made each ring in two halves and then glued each half together.

 

 

 

 

PICT0469In order to get a good joint I planed each edge before gluing.Making sure that I was planing with the grain and not against it. Because I made the top and bottom rings all in one go each ring was numbered to enable me to keep track of individual rings and not mix up tops with bottoms. There were only nine rings in total but at times it still got confusing and I would have to stop and think.

 

 

 

 

 

 

PICT0459

I used cargo straps to cramp the segments together at each stage,and I wiped the joints clean after assembly to aid the drying process and also to keep  things clean as I worked.                                                     

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PICT0485 

After marking and cutting each ring roughly round on the band saw I mounted each one individually and turned them flat on the lathe.I sanded each face to ensure flatness,checking them with a straight edge and light source to get the best joint possible.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PICT0514

PICT0460

These pictures show the stack of segments prior to gluing up and the completed rings being laminated together. I only glued one ring on at a time to ensure that there was no slippage during the process,although the rings look to be fairly wide across each segment if they are not central on each other you very soon lose the required diameter.

Leave a Reply